This is a rooting procedure for Samsung Galaxy S2 running specifically on Gingerbread 2.3.4 which is updated with XXKG6 version, so before you go with any of the below given steps just ensure that the device you want to get root access is updated with the Gingerbread 2.3.4 XXKG6, as the firmware you download doesn’t match with other previous editions, in case if are using a lower Gingerbread version you can update it with the above mentioned one. Checking your Samsung galaxy S2 firmware version is very simple, you just have to go to settings>>about phone >>firmware version, Once you select this option you can check your device OS Gingerbread firmware version, for ex., XXKG6 2.3.4. Double check this, before you try out any steps on your device.
Before we start with rooting procedure it’s very important for you to know about the settings you need to change or the pre rooting operations that you need to carry out on your device. You should also know that rooting your phone enables you to gain maximum benefits from it, so let’s start with the advantages that you can gain by rooting your phone.
- Rooting your device allows you to gain access to system root files, this allows you to download and install all android market applications and from third party websites. There are some good free apps which cannot be installed on stock version phones because it needs access to root files and are only compatible with rooted devices.
- Rooting enables you to install custom ROM’s., for ex., Cyanogen MOD. With this you r device overall performance increases, like processing speed, battery back up, display effect etc. I think all these benefits should meet the requirements for your phone.
Now lest see some of the obstacles that you need to take care once you root the phone:
Note: Rooting your device breaks the warranty of your phone with the manufacturer, so if you face any trouble after rooting, you may not be able to claim warranty for your device. But you can unroot it once again and claim. Once the device is rooted you will be not able to access internet or data service on the phone immediately, since rooting erases the precious APN settings, this can be resolve by setting up the APN settings once again with the help of network provider.
Note: Pre rooting instructions:
- It is highly recommended that you make back up of your phone data, because rooting is process which deals with the processor software installation of your phone, so there may be chances of getting your phone data erased. You can just move or copy all the files in your phone memory to SD card or store in your computer by creating a back up file or back up using any android application if you have downloaded and installed it on your phone.
- Make sure that you have installed all the essential drivers for your Samsung Galaxy S2, this can be obtained by installing the latest version of KIES, as this tool include all the required drivers on it for the device.
- Check the battery charge in your device and charge it before you start with the rooting process, this is just a precautionary measure, so that low battery charge doesn’t interrupt the procedure.
- Proceed with the rooting instructions given below only if you have updated your device with XXKG6 firmware, because it is not possible to root your Samsung galaxy S2 if it’s not update with XXKG6 version, and the other versions are not compatible and if you try it will display error messages.
- Make a back up of all your internet account settings; because rooting process erases all your previous settings of APN, you can also set up the APN and other settings with the help of your network provider.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Download the Rooting Package to your PC.
- The downloaded file is a zip file, and do not unzip it, let it be as it is.
- Now download the Odin tool and extract the file which is very much essential for rooting, Open the Odin tool (extracted file) on your PC.
- Switch off your phone and engage the download mode: Press and hold volume decrease button (which is on side panel)+Home key(the middle rectangular button)+Power button. This is indicated by yellow android man inside a triangle.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 which is on download mode to computer using the USB data cable, the phone detected on your computer is indicated by Odin tool (the ID:COM box turn yellow color)
- Now click the PDA tab box in Odin tool and select the file downloaded in the first step (do not rename the file, make any changes or unzip). After this click on Start.
- This will start rooting process on your device and automatically finishes. Just take a break till done. This is completed once the phone automatically reboots.
The last and final step is to clear cache and wipe, For this just pluck the USB cable and turn off the phone, now press and hold Volume increase+Menu+Power button simultaneously.
Once the phone turns on you can see options to wipe data/factory reset and clear cache, to select this options use volume buttons to navigate and power to select. Finally select reboot system now.