This tutorial guides you on how you to move your android applications to external SD card or the external memory on your device from the phones internal memory. This enables you to clear internal memory and allows you to download and install more number of apps to your device, this procedure is very simple and easy to try, doesn’t require your device to be rooted as this works on unrooted devices, no need to worry about the guarantee of your phone because this doesn’t void guarantee of your device.
Some information you need to know before you try this procedure; it is not necessary for your device to be rooted, this only works on android FROYO 2.2 version.
Just follow the below given step by step procedure as the process includes the download and installation of Android software kit with several modifications. I think this tutorial is pretty easy to understand hence no need to worry if you are a first time user just go through once and follow the steps carefully.
- Download the Android SDK to your PC. Make sure that you download the one which is compatible with your computer operating system. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
- Now extract the contents of the package to folder on desktop which should be easy for you to access.
- Once you extract the contents, open the file called android-sdk-windows.
- Now look for file name SDK manager. exe, just cancel/close the auto command prompt window which pops up.
- in the window option uncheck all option on it (download options) and make sure to have USB driver option checked. This will now start to download the required files.
- Meanwhile make sure to enable USB debugging mode on your android phone.
Go to menu>>Settings>>applications>>development>>USB debugging (check).
- Download and install HTC Sync from HTC’s website for your device.
- Connect your phone by USB and select the HTC sync option when it pops up with charge only, disk mode etc
- Once the device completes syncing, go to command promt on your PC: Start>>Run>>type in “cmd”
- Type the following after the “>” symbol at each step;
NOTE: Don’t include the QUOTES.
“cd desktopandroid-sdk-windowstools” (might be “cd desktopandroid-sdk-windowsplatform-tools” in windows 7)
A $ sign should pop up
“pm setInstallLocation 2″
Another $ sign should pop up
After this. Close everything, disconnect phone, Switch off the phone and turn it ON after few seconds.
16. Now the phone will be set to install all apps you install onto the SD card. However, current apps on phone will mostly still be stored on the internal memory. This process doesn’t move these apps for you, it adds the ability. So you must now manually move those already installed on the phone.
Now go to settings / applications / manage applications,
click on an app, and the move to SD card box, it should no longer be Grey. So you must now move all the apps you want onto the SD Card. That’s it now you can have all your apps o your SD card.