RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome is a type of neurological disease that establishes a condition where in the patient suffering from RLS will be unable to control the movement of his/her legs and normally they will be having an uncontrollable urge to move their legs. Sufferers of RLS witnesses tingling, tugging, itching, creeping and gnawing feelings. These symptoms usually appear during night time and they seem to get reduced when the leg is in the motion and returns back a while later. Most of the patients say that they feel free during the day time but suffer from the symptoms during the night time.
How to treat RLS?
1) Consult your doctor about the medical condition; it may due to some forms of diabetes. Hence, it is very essential to get checked before treating RLS symptoms. It can also be due to the effects of alcoholism, Parkinson’s narcolepsy, kidney disease, pregnancy, anemia and spinal cord tumors. If the correct reason for the disease is found out then it will be easy to treat the primary cause that alleviates the RLS symptoms.
2) After consulting your doctor, if he tells that your RLS is not due to any such illness then you may need to quit your bad habits such as smoking, use of tobacco, drinking coffee, tea and such other drinks. Exercise regularly and maintain a proper sleep of minimum 6 to 8 hours per night. Massage your legs gently before going to bed, applying hot pack on to your legs relieves you from the discomfort in the leg muscles.
3) TENS ‘Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation device’ helps you to reduce the RLS symptoms by giving a sort of electronic stimulation to your legs. This can treat the symptoms that are not cured with stretching and self-care controls.
4) If your TENS device and some natural means of curing RLS does not seems to be working for you means then talk to your doctor regarding prescriptions so that he can come up with some medications that are meant for preventing seizures thus helping you to control muscle movements in the cases of high blood pressures.
5) Some researches have reported that RLS is due to the deficiency of iron in the body and some says that it is due to the chemical imbalance in the brain, and it may also be due to the genetic disorder but there is still progress going on in finding out the proper cause and treatment for curing the RLS completely and effectively.
6) Some people have experienced the reduction in the symptoms of RLS after taking vitamins and other natural energy supplements for a long time. Some of the recommended entities are vitamin E, vitamin B, folic acid, magnesium that provides relief and also dietary changes can bring changes in the disease status. Research is still going on to find out the real depth and vastness of the disease. But, proper evaluation and treatment can minimize the symptoms of RLS to a greater extent.